Throughout the Academic Year, the Greek Life Office holds events to recognize both chapters and general members of the Greek community for various accomplishments. A compilation of these events is below.
Giortaste is Greek Life’s annual awards ceremony. Happening every April, Giortaste recognizes members of the community for their outstanding contributions and also recognizes chapters for their achievements with the Pytte Cup.
2016-2017 Award winners
- Glenn Nicholls Character of Distinction: Gina Belli, Carolyn Oatis, Grant Simonson, and Tyler Powell
- Howard Shelley Fraternal Leadership: Maddie Reiches and Cyprian Illing
- Outstanding Chapter Presidents: Ryan Merlau and Jessi Allman
- SMARRT Leader of the Year: Allie Duchin
- Rho Chi of the Year: Megan Bell
- Christina Camardo Award: James Madden and Annie Drechsler
The Citizenship Reception is held each November to recognize the collective efforts of the Greek community in relation to all aspects of being active citizens.
2016 Award Winners
- Pi Beta Phi - The Community Connection Award for their work with the Cleveland Kid’s Book Bank.
- Sarah Nia Coleman - The Excellence in Diversity and Inclusion Award
- Alpha Chi Omega - The Connection to Cause Award for their fight against domestic violence
- Christine Scherer - The Anvil Award from Lambda Eta Mu
- Camp Kesem - The Outstanding Campus Partner Award
- Andrea Yeh - The 2016 Outstanding Service/Philanthropy Chair
- Kirsten Costedio - The True Citizen Award
- Alpha Chi Omega - The SMARRT Group Award is given to the chapter or program that best promotes physical and emotional well-being by inspiring Greek members to care for themselves and others as well as identify and intervene in situations where individuals are at risk.
Early each fall, President Barbara Snyder invites the Greek community to her house for the Scholarship Reception. Members of the community that have achieved 4.0 GPAs are recognized and a multitude of other awards are presented to Greek members. It is a wonderful celebration of the academic achievements of members in the Greek community and those that have been instrumental to the success of Greek students.
Early each fall, President Barbara Snyder invites the Greek community to her house for the Scholarship Reception. Members of the community that have achieved 4.0 GPAs are recognized and the awards listed below are given. It is a wonderful celebration of the academic achievements of members in the Greek community and those that have been instrumental to the success of Greek students.
2016 Award Winners
- The Gamma Sigma Alpha Scholastic Achievement Award for Superior Academic Performance is awarded to a fraternity and sorority with the highest combined GPA for the preceding fall and spring semesters.
- Awarded to: Kappa Alpha Theta and Pi Kappa Phi
- The Gamma Sigma Alpha Scholastic Achievement Award for the Most Improved Academic Performance for the fall and spring semesters combined
- Awarded to Alpha Chi Omega and Delta Upsilon
- Outstanding Scholarship Chairs:
- Sonja Cuollo - Delta Gamma
- Jack Worsham - Delta Upsilon
- Outstanding Scholar Award:
- Cameron Macaskill - Alpha Phi